The Student News Site of Porterville High School

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

PHS vs. Foothill

On March 2nd, PHS varsity soccer boys had their championship game for state finals against Foothill High School. The game occurred in Foothill’s field around 5 pm and ended around 7:30 pm. PHS was able to take three rooter buses so our students could go and cheer them on during this suspenseful match. Students and parents went out with their best cheer, wearing orange and green to show the school spirit. The game started intensely, and the PHS boys seemed to communicate excellently, passing the ball to each other as the other team tried to take it away. Foothill made their first and second goal around the first round, and although we were down two points, they took this as motivation and tried their best to get back up. They did an excellent job passing and taking away the ball, but it was apparent many of the PHS players had become irritated by the other players because they were harsh. Once half-time started, the players were given a break, and new players entered once it was over. The second half started well, but then there were instances where our team was overpowered and left behind. During the second half, Foothill made three more goals, leaving us behind and with little to no time to go back up. There were instances where we came close to making a goal, but ultimately, we were blocked every time. The game ended, and the Foothill side cheered for their side and went down to congratulate them, while the Porterville side applauded our team for their effort and how far they had come. Even though our outcome was not what we intended, our soccer boys tried their best, gained valuable experiences and lessons that will help in the long run, and made PHS history!