The Student News Site of Porterville High School

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

What is Día De Los Muertos? (And how is PHS celebrating?)

As October comes to an end, many start to put up and decorate their ofrendas for Día De Los Muertos. Día De Los Muertos is a meaningful celebration commemorated by many Hispanics and Catholics, where many families welcome the return of the souls of their deceased loved ones. A common belief is that after death, a person will travel to Chicunamictlán, also known as the Land of the Dead. They would be there for four years and go through difficult and dangerous challenges; if completed, they would be privileged to visit their living families. This celebration starts from October 31 to November 2. November 1 is the day when all departed children come back to the world and reunite with their families via their ofrendas put up for them, and November 2 is when the adults go to see their living loved ones. In Mexico, families will put up pictures of their deceased loved ones on an altar and decorate them by putting foods they enjoyed, items that represent them, colorful candles, sugar skulls, and papel picado, all while having it all covered with Cempasuchil flowers (Marigold flowers) that represent the path our loves one will follow back to us. Another Mexican tradition is going to their loved one’s graves, decorating them, and spending the day remembering their favorite memories they had with their deceased family members. Alebrijes are also a considerable part of these celebrations. Alebrijes are magical and fantastical animals that are said to be guides for the dead to help them find their way back home to their loved ones. These unique animals are colorful and can range from abilities, such as flying.

On Wednesday, November 1st, the VAPA club is hosting a Día de los Muertos celebration in the quad during lunch. All clubs have been invited to participate. There will be different opportunities to celebrate Día de los Muertos, including food for purchase and many booths to visit. We hope to see everyone there!