The Student News Site of Porterville High School

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

Thank you for EVERYTHING, Mrs. Herrera!

Mrs. Sara Herrera has dedicated her career to serving our students, staff, and community. She has taught English, Journalism, Yearbook, and ASB and had a variety of roles here at Porterville High School. Her colleagues admire and respect her because she has gone above and beyond to make our LMC into the jewel that it is for our community. Mrs. Herrera and her family have been loyal Panthers. Her mom was a teacher at PHS, and her husband, Mr. Larry Herrera, and brother-in-law, Mr. David Herrera, have worked alongside her for much of their respective careers. Her sons both attended PHS, and her daughter will be a Panther soon as well. To say that Mrs. Herrera has poured her heart into PHS is an understatement.

I have been in Journalism and Yearbook for two years with Mrs. Herrera, and I was honored to interview her as she says farewell to PHS and embarks on a new journey and promotion at the District Office.

What is your educational background?

“I went to Monache High School, and then for college I went to PC and Fresno State. I got my teaching credential at Chapman University and my Masters degree through Fresno Pacific.”

How long have you been in education?

“I’ve been teaching for 26 years.”

What did you enjoy most about being the librarian and media specialist here at PHS? 

“I enjoyed renovations of the library, and getting to impact all of our students.”

What will you do in your new role at the district office?

“I will be working with all the libraries, to make sure they are all as good as PHS, and also making sure everyone has a good curriculum.”

What will you miss most about PHS?

“I will miss everything, such as the school spirit, the culture, all the students, the library, and working with my husband everyday.”

You’ll be missed, Mrs. Herrera! Thank you for everything.

View Comments (1)