The Student News Site of Porterville High School

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

PHS Drama Department Presents “Once On This Island Jr.”

Once On This Island Jr

Once On This Island starts with storytellers coming together to tell a story of love, bravery, and strength. It is the story of the peasant girl, Ti Moune. An orphan chosen by the Gods is taken into a simple and loving family; though content, she feels like she is destined for something more. After a terrible accident caused by a wicked storm, Ti Moune falls for a handsome, ailing stranger she tries desperately to nurse back to health. She bargains with the Gods for his life, but she must make the ultimate sacrifice to do so. Once on This Island is a coming-of-age one-act stage musical with a book, lyrics by Lynn Ahrens, and music by Stephen Flaherty. It is based on the 1985 novel My Love, My Love; or, The Peasant Girl  by Rosa Guy, a Caribbean-set retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale The Little Mermaid. The original Broadway production ran from 1990 to 1991, and the West End production opened in 1994, where it won the 1995 Laurence Oliver Award For Best New Musical. The musical was revived on Broadway in a production that opened on December 3, 2017, at the Circle in Square Theater. In the opening number, “We Dance,” the peasants describe their world: their lives are ruled by powerful gods, and their island is governed by the wealthy “grand hommes.” They explain that the peasants and the grand’s hommes belong to “two different worlds never meant to meet.”

Catch the show On April 12th at 6:15 and the 13th at 2:00

Adults are 10$ and Kids are 5$ with student ID

lets support the Drama Department Panthers!