The Student News Site of Porterville High School

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

Happy International Women’s Day!!

In a modern world where women’s voices continue to rise, International Women’s Day is an excellent reminder of how far we as a society have come. Although International Women’s Day is not an official holiday in the United States, we celebrate the entire month of March, Women’s History Month. This month monumentalizes women’s achievements throughout history, both past and contemporary. This day worldwide represents both the celebration of women and their children and also points out the issues revolving around gender equality, violence and harm against women, and reproductive rights.

This day can be dated back to an event named “Women’s Day,” organized by the Socialist Party of America in New York City on February 28, 1909. This is where the German delegates of the 1910 International Socialist Women’s Conference got the inspiration to propose “a special Women’s Day” to be managed annually but set no date. Changes started, and International Women’s Day commemorations took place across Europe. However, it wasn’t after the Russian Revolution in 1917 that International Women’s Day was made a national holiday on March 8, and the global feminist movement adopted it in the late 1960s. On March 19, 1911, the first International Women’s Day was celebrated by a million people in Austria-Hungary, Denmark, Germany, and Switzerland.

Did you know New Zealand was the first self-governing nation to allow women to vote? Another remarkable fact about this holiday is that the colors associated with International Women’s Day are purple and green. The purple signifies dignity and justice, while the green represents hope. Were you aware that the theme of International Women’s Day changes every year so that different factors of women’s empowerment are highlighted?

There are many traditions for this special day worldwide; for example, it is well known in Mexico for husbands, boyfriends, friends, or male family members to get their female friends, partners, classmates, or family, yellow flowers to show their respect and love for them. A tradition in China is for employers to give their female staff a half-day off, and men are encouraged to buy gifts for the women in their lives. Australia celebrates through marches and various panel seminars, breakfasts, and events featuring prominent women in their domains, speaking publicly to call for more representation, equality, and diversity. Romania similarly celebrates this day as Mother’s Day, supplying a reason for people to recognize their mothers, grandmothers, and friends with children by gifting them cards and flowers.

So, take a moment to express love and gratitude to all those incredible women in your life who never fail to show strength and resilience and help shape our world. Let’s celebrate and thank the women around us who help contribute to this beautiful impact.💕💘