The Student News Site of Porterville High School

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

Happy Science Day!

Did you know today, Wednesday, February 28th, marks the worldwide Science Day? This celebration is mainly around schools, colleges, and medical and research institutions, specifically in India. This day was brought upon in India in 1986 when the National Council for Science and Technology Communication asked the government of India to mark this particular day to represent the anniversary discovery of the Raman Effect, which the Indian physicist Sir C.V. Raman discovered on February 28th, 1928. The Raman Effect brought significant contributions to the field of science because it explains the scattering of light particles by molecules of a medium, which used to be unknown. This day is also produced to promote scientific advancements and encourage and inspire people worldwide and new generations to explore a career in science. As Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of sciences.” This reminds us that we will be the ones to help shape and develop the future and that science is a crucial intelligence required for improvement and invention to help unlock endless possibilities.