The Student News Site of Porterville High School

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Ghost of PHS

Panthers, I have a question…is it just me, or have you ever felt an eerie presence here on campus?

As some of you may know, there’s a rumor on campus that a ghost has lived here for decades. When I first heard this rumor, I had to investigate. I spoke with our drama teacher, Ms. Hamilton. She informed me that an unfriendly ghost haunts our school’s auditorium (and dressing rooms).   According to Hamilton, drama students have nicknamed this ghost ‘Barbra’ and have, ” . . . decided it’s an old lady.” Hamilton says that during her first year of teaching 3 years ago, “Barbra” shoved Hamilton about a foot and a half across her classroom, dropped boxes on her, and has pushed her down a flight of stairs. When PHS hosts any activities in the auditorium, paranormal activity occurs in Hamilton’s classroom.

The auditorium itself is haunted as well for many other reasons everyone believes, some believe the ghost inside the actual auditorium is Buck Shaffer himself hence the name, “Buck Shaffer Auditorium.” There is another theory that it is a little girl and Hamilton has seen a burnt and singed doll up in the attic of the auditorium. People say she took her doll up there and died somehow. Also in case none of you knew, especially you dancers, the new dance teacher Mr. Mendoza says his dance room is haunted! No one can figure out who it is so they say it’s a little boy named Casper who likes to knock down dance outfits on the floor. so anywhere there is a dance there is a ghost!