The Student News Site of Porterville High School

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

Why are People So Afraid of Growing Up?

Growing up is a part of our everyday lives, from our first steps to our last. It’s scary. Growing up is maturing and becoming a better person. Growing up is also watching yourself achieve new goals in life as well.

Having a birthday is exciting right? But when the thoughts of you being an adult or getting older scare you, it’s normal. Some people wish that they could stop themselves from growing up because it’s so scary. From the thoughts of paying bills, doing your own taxes and even having your own kids is something that’s terrifying to think about.

But the question remains: Why are people so scared of growing up? Growing up is being pushed outside of our comfort zone and starting a new chapter. It’s a challenge. The hardest part of growing up is making your own decisions in life. What car to buy, how much you’d like to spend on rent in your new apartment: there are so many things to think about.

How can I ease the anxiety of growing up? You can start by focusing on things that make your life more joyful. Finding joy in little things can make you much happier. If you feel alone, and think that you’re the only one who’s probably scared of growing up; you’re not alone. Growing up is normal; it’s scary but it’s a part of getting older.

If you are feeling overwhelmed with the responsibilities of growing up or you need to chat, please reach out to your counselor for support. We are here for you!