Do We Get Enough Sleep?

It’s easy to lose track of time while scrolling through TikTok at night. One moment it’s 8:00 pm, and before you know it, the time reads 11:30 pm. It can be exhausting having to wake up early after staying up late at night. We asked fellow students at school what time they went to bed and when they woke up. Statistics showed that upper-class students, on average, get about 7 hours of sleep per night. Bedtime shouldn’t be a concern if students can get up in the morning and come to school ready to learn. A problem occurs when students are up late and have difficulty waking up in the morning for school. Sleep is one of the most important things we need in our lives. Sleep needs vary in individuals. Some people can function off of 6 hours of sleep, while others need 10 hours of sleep to perform at the best of their ability throughout the day. Sleep allows the body to recover and lets you wake up refreshed to conquer the next day. One-third of our lives are spent asleep, adding up to about twenty-five years. Those who do not get enough sleep have a higher risk of developing obesity, are more prone to injuries, and may find a decline in their mental health. Some students go to bed earlier than others because some are employed and still have to come home after work to finish school work, which may take up a lot of their time at night. According to the CDC, teenagers aged 13-18 should sleep about 8-10 hours per night. Those having difficulty sleeping should stick to a consistent sleep schedule throughout the week and on weekends so that their bodies can learn to adapt. A sufficient sleep schedule can help lower stress and improve your mood throughout the day. 

What time do you usually go to sleep?
I typically go to sleep around midnight. I usually wake up around 5-6 am, so I get roughly 5-6 hours of sleep per night. After school, I usually spend my time working, so I get home around 9:30 pm or so, I start to do homework, and I usually finish by 11:30 pm.
Osvaldo Barraza– senior

What time do you usually go to sleep?
I go to bed at 8:30 pm at the latest. I would say I get 10-11 hours of sleep per night. I go to sleep early because staying up is no point if I have something to do the next day.
Isabel Valencia– junior
What time do you usually go to sleep?
I sleep between 12 and 1 in the morning because I stay up doing homework since I don’t get back from practice until late at night. I usually wake up around 7, so I get about 6 hours of sleep on school nights.
Jayla Roberts– senior
What time do you usually go to sleep?
I usually go to bed around 12 am because I stay up doing English homework. I wake up around 6:45, so I sleep about 7 hours.
Aaron Gutierrez– senior
What time do you usually go to sleep?
I typically go to sleep at about 10:30 pm. If I go to sleep later, it’s harder for me to wake up to read Scripture. I get around 8 hours of sleep.
Ariana Gil– junior