Teacher Of The Week

Mrs. Kellie Sanders

This week our featured teacher is Mrs. Kellie Sanders. Mrs. Sanders teaches in the English Department, the Health and Science Academy, and is the advisor for the Native American Club.

“My name is Kellie Sanders, and I was born and raised in Bakersfield; I also attended local colleges there. I teach English and belong to the greatest department on campus. I attended Bakersfield College, CSU Bakersfield, and Point Loma Nazarene University for graduate school. I went to college to work in editing and publishing, but I eventually realized that I really wanted to teach and work with youth in an educational capacity. I started my career in Bakersfield at Thompson Jr. High School, where I coached girls basketball and enjoyed learning to play double-dutch with my students. From there, I got married and moved to Porterville, where I worked for Burton Middle School, but quickly transferred to Porterville Unified School District. Within PUSD, I have worked at Bartlett Middle School, Monache High School, and Porterville High School. Being a Panther is like no other; it has really been a joy to be part of the Panther pride here. On the weekends and during summers, I enjoy retreating to the mountains or going for a horseback ride. I also enjoy gardening, cooking, spending time with my pets, and caring for my family.”

One of Mrs. Sanders’ favorite quotes is from the movie Hope Floats: “Beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it is the middle that counts the most. You need to remember that when you find yourself at the beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up.”