The Student News Site of Porterville High School

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

Earn the State Seal of Civic Engagement! Applications have been extended until this Friday, 4/12!

Panthers, have you completed a project at school or in the community that has addressed a real-world issue? If so, we encourage you to apply for the State Seal of Civic Engagement.

Assembly Bill 24 (2017) instructed the California Department of Education (CDE) to develop a set of criteria to award students who have demonstrated excellence in civic education. 

“It is the intent of the Legislature to establish a State Seal of Civic Engagement (SSCE) to encourage, and create pathways for, pupils in elementary and secondary schools to become civically engaged in democratic governmental institutions at the local, state, and national levels.” -California Education Code (EC) Section 51470

So, who is eligible to earn the seal? 

1. You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0
  2. You must pass World History and US History with a “C” or better
  3. You must attend at least one government meeting and write a 1-2 page self-reflection (MLA or APA format) (Guess what? There’s a school board meeting this Thursday at 4:30 at the PUSD Board Room,600 West Grand Ave. Porterville, CA. You can attend this meeting to satisfy the requirement.)
  4. You must have completed an inquiry based project that addresses real-world problems.
  5. You must complete a written/typed or video reflection
  6. You must exhibit character traits that reflect civic-mindedness and commitment to positively impact the classroom, school, community, and/or society.

Juniors and Seniors can earn the seal on their official high school transcripts. Please check out the website for more info and apply by this Friday, 4/12! Please see Ms. Padilla in H-204 or your civics teacher for more information. Thank you!