The Student News Site of Porterville High School

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

The Orange & Green

If you’re looking for new recipes this year, here are some ideas!

As the New Year starts settling in, some of us are working to start our New Year’s Resolutions. Maybe it’s creating a habit of going to the gym more often, learning to bake, reading more books, saving money or even spending more time with family. Everyone has different resolutions, but if your particularly looking for easy to medium recipes to try, this is for you.

GLAZED LEMON CAKE                          Ingredients: 1 package of white cake mix and 1 package of instant lemon pudding mix 3/4 cup of canola oil 1 cup lemon-lime soda 1 cup sugar 2 tablespoons lemon juice                                  How to Make:                                                             1. Preheat over to 350 while waiting, combine the cake mix and pudding together. Beat for 30 minutes together and add the lemon-lime soda while beating.                                                             2. Pour the mixed batter into a greased 13×9 pan, and put it into the oven. Poke a toothpick in it occasionally, let it bake for 40-45 minutes tops.                                                                             3. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar and lemon juice until it is fine and smooth.                                 4. Spread over the cake and place it on a cooling rack. Preparation takes about 10 minutes while baking takes 40.
    STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES WITH WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING Ingredients: 1/2 cup of seedless strawberry jam, or preserved 3/4 cup of butter (softened) 1 cup sugar 3 large egg whites (room temperature) 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 cup 2% milk 1/2 cup sour cream 1-2/3 cup of flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 1/4 teaspoon baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt Red food coloring (optional)                                                      FROSTING: 2 cup heavy whipping cream 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup strawberry jam 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract fresh strawberries (optional)           How to Make:                                                            1. Preheat oven to 350 and fill a muffin pan with paper liners                                                                 2. In a large bowl, mix cream butter and sugar until it is fluffy for 5-7 minutes. Add egg whites,one at a time and beat well.                            3. In a separate bowl, add baking soda and salt and add the mixed cream butter and sugar into the bowl until it is a milky texture. If you want, you can add food coloring!                                      4. Fill the muffins with the mix and bake for 20-25 minutes, let it cool for 10 minutes.                   5. In a separate bowl, beat the cream until it thickens. Add sugar, strawberry jam and vanilla extract. Beat until stiff.                                            6. Use a pipe to spread frosting and enjoy!
    For this recipe, it might be a bit tricky. You will need a good kind of chicken which can either be boneless or skinless because it is easier to work with.
    Breading the chicken will be easy, you will need to coat the chicken in flour before dipping them in the beat egg mix and then after that, roll them in the seasoned bread crumbs.
    COOKING
    To cook these, you will need to have a wire wrack and if not, you can just put them onto a baking sheet.
    INGREDIENTS
    1 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    3/4 tablespoon garlic powder
    3/4 tablespoon onion powder
    1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 tablespoon paprika
    1 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt (divided)
    1 large egg
    1/3 cup flour
    1 lb boneless or skinless chicken breast cut into 1 1 /2 pieces
    How to make:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 and put oil in a large panko pan.
    2. Add bread crumbs into a bowl and add garlic and onion powder and as well as pepper and paprika and then 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Toss to combine.
    3. Place wire rack inside baking sheet and spray with cooking spray, Pour the additional flour into a bowl add egg and beat.
    4. Season chicken by using salt and toss in flour then egg then put the chicken on the rack,
    5. Bake the nuggets for 15 to 18 minutes at 165 degrees.
    6. While the nuggets are hot still, season with salt (optional) and enjoy with your desired sauce.
    Chicken Alfredo is literally a classic! Here is how to make it (with ingredients)
    INGREDIENTS
    2 tablespoon extra-virgin oil
    2 boneless, and skinless chicken
    kosher salt
    2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    2 cup milk
    2 cloves garlic (chopped)
    OZ fettuccine sauce
    1 cup Parmesan (2 oz.)
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    And chopped parsley for serving!
    How to Make:
    1. In a skillet over medium heat, add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken by turning them until golden brown 8 minutes per side.
    2. In the same skillet, combine broth, milk, and garlic with salt and pepper. Add fettuccine sauce and mix it for 10 minutes.
    3. Stir in Parmesan and mixed cream and stir until the sauce is thick and pasta is cooked for 2 to 3 minutes.
    4. Turn off stove,pour and enjoy!
    Orange chicken is a very popular meal and if your wanting to know how to make it, here is how!
    INGREDIENTS 2 large eggs
    1/4 c. all-purpose flour
    1/2 c. plus 1 tbsp. cornstarch, divided
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 lb boneless and skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 pieces
    1 tablespoon canola oil, plus more for frying
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 teaspoon finely chopped peeled ginger
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2/3 c. fresh orange juice
    2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
    2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
    2 tablespoon sweet chili sauce
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    2 scallions sliced
    Cooked white rice
    How to Make:
    1. In a bowl, add eggs and beat until blended.
    2. In a separate bowl, mix flour and 1/2 cup of cornstarch, season with salt and black pepper. Coat the chicken first in egg and then toss into flour mixture.
    3. In a skillet, pour oil, heat until hot and add the chicken and fry until brown and crispy for 4 to 5 minutes.
    4. In a saucepan, whisk cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and whisk until it is syrupy for 5 minutes.
    5. Move the chicken onto a bowl, toss to combine.
    6. Enjoy